This is a City initiated project that includes General Plan Amendment 19-291 and Specific Plan Amendment 19-292.
- General Plan Amendment 19-291 updates General Plan maps to be consistent with the Coastal Land Use Plan (LUP) certified by the Coastal Commission.The proposed General Plan amendments include: a) changing two properties on the block of Coronado Lane from Residential High (RH) to Mixed Use 4 (MU4) and adding the Pedestrian Overlay; b) removing the Pedestrian Overlay from public and open space designated properties, such as the Casa Romantica and municipal parking lot; and c) adding a definition "Spanish Colonial Revival" to the glossary for clarification.
Specific Plan Amendment 19-292 updates the Pier Bowl Specific Plan maps, development standards, and design guidelines for consistency with goals, objectives, policies, and programs of the General Plan and LUP pursuant to the California Government Code. No site specific operations or development of any kind is proposed. The objectives for the Specific Plan update project are to: 1) make the plan consistent with the General Plan and LUP; 2) update plan to reflect changes to development, uses, amenities, and improvements in the Pier Bowl; and 3) improve the plan’s organization, format, and maps consistent with other Specific Plans.
To view draft the Specific Plan update, click the link below.
- Draft Pier Bowl Specific Plan (draft Planning Commission supported on November 5, 2019)
Status and Milestones
- The City Council will consider the Planning Commission's recommendation. The hearing date is TBD.
- On November 6, 2019, the Planning Commission continued its public hearing discussion and recommended the City Council adopt the proposed General Plan and Specific Plan amendments with revisions. To view the staff report, click this LINK. To view the edited Specific Plan, click this LINK (updated to address the Commission's comments).
- On October 2, 2019, the Planning Commission held a hearing on the project, provided comments, and continued the discussion to its meeting on November 6, 2019. To see the October 2, 2019 staff report and Specific Plan, click this LINK.
- Starting March 11, 2019, the City made a draft update of the Pier Bowl Specific Plan available for public review and comment period prior to being considered by the Planning Commission. The draft Specific Plan was available online for several months. Staff made revisions in response to comments received over the review period.
- On February 25, 2019, the City held a community meeting at the Community Center. Staff provided a presentation on the project and answered questions. To view the power point, click this LINK.
- On December 19, 2018, the Planning Commission held a study session to get a staff overview of the project. for the staff report, click this LINK.
For Questions or to Comment
To ask questions or to send public comments, you can contact Christopher Wright, Associate Planner II at (949) 361-6193. Public comments can be sent by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the Planning Services Division, Attn: Christopher Wright, 910 Calle Negocio, Suite 100, San Clemente, CA 92673.